Sunday 30 January 2011

Pigham Model Progress

Here is an almost complete model of my pig character:


I am very happy with the way that this model has turned out. It looks exactly how I imagined it. Its a simple model, but I believe that I will be able to give him enough personality to make him stand out.

I do however, have 2 concerns. 1 is the biped. Due to the simple shape of the model, getting the biped to not only nicely fit into model, but also get it to move without any distortions could prove to be quite difficult. I did have a test with attaching a biped to the model and I was able to get it to work better than I expected. Hopefully once the model is weighted, it will be able to move without any distortions, or else I may have to edit the model.

The second concern is the mouth. Im not sure what would be the best thing to do. I have come up with several experimental possibilities:

1 - Leave the model without a mouth. I believe that if I put enough detail into the animation of the characters body movements and eyes, then I would still be able to express his emotions without the need of a mouth. It has been proved possible to accomplish by the character Gromit from Wallice and Gromit.


2 - Delete some polygons in the shape of a mouth


This way I would have a mouth and would simply be able to move the verticies to form facial expressions. The problem with this is that pulling the verticies around would create stretches on the model, which I would prefer to avoid!


3 - Delete some polygons in the shape of a mouth and place a plane behind it to give the illusion of teeth.


This is similar to the last option, only it would have a plane behind it. Its simply just to add some teeth, making it easier to form expressions.


4 - Place a thin capsule infront of the model in the shape of a mouth.


This is a very simple, yet effective solution. It may seem lazy to simply place the mouth over the front of the model, but I have done the same with the eyebrows. It also adds to the cartoon nature of the character.


I will decide which option would be best to use over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment