Sunday 20 March 2011

Scene 3



Animation Procedures:
In this scene, Pigham attempts to reach the apple by jumping. I attempted this in a few different ways. The first way was to simply move Pigham by hand and place key frames all over him to make it look like he was jumping. However, not only did this look awful, but it was also quite time consuming.

I soon realised that in footstep mode, there was also the option of jumping. So I used it and the results came out perfectly and I only had to edit 1 or 2 frames. In order to get him to jump at different angles, I simply dragged the footsteps on the ground to another position and the biped automatically jumped to that angle. To get him to stay in the air a little longer on the third jump, I just made the keyframes between him jumping and landing further apart.

Character Personality:
I made Pigham jump 3 times in a row, with each jump getting progressively higher. On the third jump, I made him float in the air while he waved his arms for a little while. Again, this is another cartoon effect. Cartoon characters generally are able to defy all rules when it comes to this sort of thing, such as being able to run off a cliff, and the run back again on thin air. I felt that allowing Pigham to do this as well would help strengthen his personality.

After the third jump, he becomes aware that he wont be able to reach it by jumping and becomes angry. I conveyed this by having him fold one of his arms, have one of his ears pop upwards and have him tapping one of his feet. This creates the impression of fustration. I also had his eyes slightly glance away into the sky in order show that he is thinking of something.

Camera:
My original intentionwas to have the camera at a set angle for the rest of the animation. I eventually changed this to create more cinematic camera angles. While I do like how the camera starts off at the height of the apple and lowers down to his level to show that he has no hope of jumping that high, I think that the old camera angle looking directly at him a few feet away was equally as good. This was mainly because at this angle, it looks as though he is putting more effort into jumping for the apple. With the new angle, it almost looks like he is just randomly jumping. However, I do think that the new one brings more atmosphere to the animation.

Problems:
I had no major problems with this scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment